Do you remember I told you that I had a very talented friend form Embroiderers Guild called Ann. Ann recently had an exhibition which I couldn't get along too but I thought I'd share with you what I missed! These lovely ladies are Ann's creations. They are all fabulous constructions and each are complete individuals, maybe you recognise someone here? Maybe yourself?

Ann has been good enough to share some of the background to these beauties. I am really hoping that Ann might be persuaded to start her own blog soon. I would love to see what she gets up to behind closed doors!












'I have made traditional rag-dolls for about 30 years – the sort that children can cuddle and carry around. I entered a competition at the Knitting and Stitching Show five years ago, making a contemporary art-type doll and although not a winner, I was inspired to make more dolls in this style.

It is usually a piece of fabric that will inspire a particular character. I love rummaging in charity shops for something unusual – a local gift shop selling-off faux-fur cushions inspired Beryl the Floozie. The posters advertising Royal Ascot, inspired two different dolls, complete of course, with wonderful hats. Blossom the Hippie … could she be me? Then there is Wanda the Walker, a mermaid, so many others. 17 are now with their new owners, after being shown at exhibitions in Hythe in 2007 and 2009.

I especially enjoy painting the faces – this is the best bit which I always save until last. After needle-sculpting I use coloured pencils and felt pens, taking a lot of time to get the eyes perfect – a lovely face really brings the character to life.'
Thanks for sharing your girls Ann!
I will be able to show you my pay it forward packages next post, and then some new brooches upon which I have been working for the Autumn season. As always my eyes have been far bigger than the time space available!

Comments

Popular Posts