I have been so lucky, lucky lucky lucky....


I don't want to gloat or rub salt in any ones wounds but....I won!!!! Yayyy. Look at all my lovely loot courtesy of Ethel and Edna! The jiffy bag that was waiting for me when I got home from a particularly gnarly day at work was stuffed full of cool and interesting things. I don't want to give anything away but I have already started to use some of it, and the knitting mag has details of a sort of knitting freecycle that will be useful in disposing of some of those knitting patterns I have been given. Will helped himself to two brooches and three buttons. I have a feeling that Mum might half-inch the ladybird books if I'm not careful too! Thank you so much.
There seems to be a common quandary over pricing hand-made/crafted items. I have been trying to settle on prices for things for next weeks (gulp) farmers market. I have had lots of comments through the blog, from friends, Simon and emails on this subject. I am having thought whirling 'round my head on....costs of materials (sometimes this is actually 0!)...cost of pitch(£10)......who will be there(probably mostly older ladies with wicker baskets!)....how good my stuff is (floodgates of insecurity and self doubt just about holding on that one).....why am I doing this anyway (self actualisation??? too deep!- shift some stuff? I like it?- final verdict-I'm not sure!) At the end of the day I want some things to sell so that I can review what I make get some feedback and decide whether this might be a way forward to developing my own signature. Still not sure what those price tickets will say!
On another self-promotion front I was lurking in quiet reverence on Bugs and Fishes when a new web-site was mentioned billed as a UK Etsy!!! (I didn't quite wet my pants!) So I've been over and set up my Folksy shop put one measely item in with the idea that it can be filled after next weekend. Pricing here was less traumatic as I won't actually have to make eye contact with the 'customer' or say it out loud!

Comments

Griffin said…
"how good my stuff is (floodgates of insecurity and self doubt just about holding on that one).....why am I doing this anyway (self actualisation??? too deep!- shift some stuff? I like it?- final verdict-I'm not sure!) At the end of the day I want some things to sell so that I can review what I make get some feedback and decide whether this might be a way forward to developing my own signature."

Let me be blunt.

You are a fabulously talented, highly original and BRILLIANT craft maker. So no more insecurity. Tell the 'What-if...?' voice to shut up, have some chocolate and go be fab!
Sharon said…
Mr.Griffin is right! Go be fabulous darling! Thanks for the Folsky link, I've just registered and got you as a favourite!
Tip Top said…
You will be fine!! I was the same at my first fair and I did very very well!!!! There will always be someone who tells you its either too cheap or too dear, but listen to your heart - if it feels right, go for it!!!
Ruth said…
banish insecurity - you are a GREAT crafter! :D
JuicyFig said…
I can send my daughter round to price up for you - she just doubled everything I had priced!

hope it all goes realy well for you

pop over for another give away!

Kath
x

Popular Posts