Gardener's World

Last time I stopped by I was telling you about the rug which Simon had been bequeathed which had inspired a blanket. I am adding flowers to the blanket and am about a third of the way through, it is looking really cool if I do say so myself. I have also been to help my Dad do some clearing at my Grandparents old house. He is executing their estate with my Aunt and there is a lot of sorting out to do. The house is a three story Georgian house which had been divided up into flats to allow my Grandparents to take in lodgers. There aren't lots of original features and the house has been declining over the last few years as my Grandpa lost interest and lost a lot of his sight. It was pretty sad going round there and seeing it all unloved and empty. But of course within that the little memories peep through and I found myself visualising things I remembered from childhood.
When we used to go to play there was always plenty going on. Dad is one of five and there were five local cousins who were often around. We used to love colouring and playing with the 'junk jewellery'. There was a big bag of cars, dolly's, a tea set and a push along terrier. My most favourite of all though had to be the garden. This was a 'Brittens' toy and was made up of felt boards, cardboard printed with paths and lots of plastic flower beds into which a variety of plastic foliage could be 'planted'.
This was all sat in a carrier bag on the sofa when we went to do some sorting so I bought it home to see if it was as cool as I remembered..........it was. Will made this garden and went on to dismantle it and make two more.
What do you remember playing with at your grandparents? I had a cool time at my other Granfer's house too but here I mucked in, gardening with him, looking at a book, watching snooker or cricket or making daisy chains with him on the lawn. Did your Grandparents play with you or give you stuff to play with? I'm interested to know.

Comments

Popular Posts