Gifts from the heart

Our wedding had a lot of handmade going on. I made mine and Anna's button bouquets. Mum, Dad and the kids helped make the flowers whilst we on holiday at Haven. Gran did 'matchy matchy' whilst Anna and I went all 'clashy clashy'. It was a sod to form into a bouquet but of course it was inexpensive to make and can gather dust for the rest of our married life!
We received some really gorgeous gifts too. Gwen received a tiny little package from me when I did a Pay it Forward ages and ages ago. She felt, rather sweetly, that she wanted to pay it backwards too and these simply beautiful pillow cases arrived from the U.S. I am so touched.
Maria had made some really cute heart themed decs for me in a swap a while back. They came to the wedding and hung down the front of the tables now this one is adorning the dining room door.

Also hanging there is this delightful stitching. A good friend and good person made it for us and I shall be making sure it is displayed prominently to ensure that our anniversary is never forgotten!
Another quilty pal made me 6m of bunting for the wedding in all the wedding colours and fabrics. She made a smashing job of it and it has become the family birthday bunting to be hung over the fireplaces. You can also see a cardboard ball I made (one of four), I found the instructions through Pinterest, which I think many people have found and lost themselves in by now! I love Pinterest and have found the images there very inspiring. I have used a couple of ideas and find it a bit like pulling pages from a magazine. Who knows when these sparks of ideas will be kindled and it's lovely to see themes emerging in the images I've pinned so see a summation of what makes me tick visually. I caught some of Kirsty Allsops series being replayed a while back and though she grates a little (as she seems to think she's being thrifty spending out ££££££'s ad £££££££'s on making and doing- because it's jolly, rather than a necessity) she did do some interesting bits and bobs. She visited Cath Kidstone, now I used to really like Cath.....and then she became obligatory, ranges in Fenwicks, features in all the broadsheet colour supplements, I guess I'm perverse but the more people think something will be 'my thing' the more I kick against it. Anyway Kirsty visited Cath and it was really refreshing; her kitchen was nothing like a room set in her shop. It was sleek, she said that that was because that was what she wanted and liked and it's practical. Some kitchenware was from her product range other bits were vintage and mis matched. Her message was not to worry too much about making things 'go' together but that if you buy/collect/make what you really love then your character will show through and your house will have a cohesion based on the fact you selected an item. A decorating theme of 'Things I like'? Sounds good to me!
Gosh that got a bit waffly didn't it? Next I will share some memories and images from the honeymoon- don't worry, I'll keep it clean!

Comments

Annie said…
What a lovely post. I love all your special makes for a special day. Lots to keep and treasure now.
A x
Karen said…
such a beautiful bouquet....

Popular Posts